8 C
New York
Thursday, April 18, 2024

Buy now

Netflix Unveils Viewer Data: “What We Watched” Report Reflects New Transparency Era

In a significant departure from its historically guarded approach, Netflix has lifted the veil on viewership statistics for nearly all its shows and movies with the release of its inaugural “What We Watched” report. The streaming giant plans to issue updated reports every six months, offering a comprehensive ranking of content based on hours viewed over the preceding half-year period.

The move toward transparency is a noteworthy shift for Netflix, which has long been criticized for its reluctance to disclose viewership data. During a recent conference call with reporters, co-CEO Ted Sarandos acknowledged the skepticism among creators resulting from the streaming service’s secrecy. Sarandos explained that Netflix kept viewership data private as it built its business, enabling the platform to experiment without revealing crucial data to potential competitors.

Sarandos, now leading a public company with nearly 250 million global subscribers, expressed confidence in the decision to share viewership statistics. The move aligns with a broader trend in the entertainment industry, as Hollywood actors and writers emphasized increased transparency during recent strikes, advocating for compensation in line with audience consumption patterns.

“This is the actual data that we use to run the business,” Sarandos stated. “I’m the co-CEO of a public company, so sharing bad information has consequences.”

The report disclosed that the first season of “The Night Agent,” a Netflix original action thriller, emerged as the most-viewed show in the past six months, accumulating 812 million viewing hours. Meanwhile, “The Mother,” featuring Jennifer Lopez, claimed the top spot among Netflix’s most-watched movies. Original films and series constituted 55% of Netflix viewing, with licensed titles comprising the remaining 45% between January and June.

Netflix’s data release encompasses more than 18,000 titles, representing 99% of all viewing and including all titles watched for over 50,000 hours. The newfound transparency is expected to foster a more informed and collaborative environment among industry stakeholders, from guilds and creators to producers and the press.

Join MultiMediaMouth+ for $3 a month

Support MultiMediaMouth.com now! For just $3/month, you will get ad-free access to select articles, Podcasts, and livestream events! Join today and support small creators!

Ruben Jay
Ruben Jay
Ruben Jay is an American broadcaster, media blogger, and podcast host. Currently, Ruben is the President of MultiMediaMouth.com and the executive producer and host of the popular podcasts You’re My Best Friend and ON AIR with Ruben Jay, exclusively on MultiMediaMouth.com. Follow Ruben on Instagram, Twitter, and Tiktok @TheRubenJay.

Related Articles

Latest Articles